Sunday, November 27, 2011

Jemmy Button


I like to have “One on one” with Jemmy Button, a yámana indigenous of fifteen years old who together with Fueguia Basket y York Minster was taking captivity in the year 1830 for a Captain Parker King and there, went took to England, where they met King William IV and Queen Adelaide.
It is not clear the reason of the abduction. Apparently was taking as hostage to ask for exchange stoles provisions by indigenous, but their family never came to find there. But the official reason was the savage´s education. They will be an experiment of civilization.
As took Darwin and Fitz Roy in them travel diary, Jemmy learnt to be an Englishman, but when he is return to his land: Wulaia Bay, he also returns to his costumes. It is said that Jemmy had a very particular mood and a superhuman view.
I would like to talk with Jemmy because is a really interesting case of cultures shock and hi life history tell us many things about the ideological context: the young nation of Chili and the mixed identity.
I would ask him: do you like England, tell me about something that take your attention in the trip and tell me about your family.        

4 comments:

  1. you chose a interesting person, see you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not know him. How interesting to know more.

    regards

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not know this girl indigenous, I Think very interesting the cultural impact that this girl had to get to England.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read about this man recently. It must have been weird for him travelling to Britain in those times.

    ReplyDelete